10 Tips for New Students:
- Please know we are happy you found us and want you to feel welcome.
- Come early to class to meet the teacher. We recommend you arrive at least 15 minutes before class begins.
- Bring a towel and water (to drink after class).
- Pacific Ashtanga has studio mats available to borrow (on a first-come basis).
- Please talk to the teacher before class about any injuries or health concerns.
- Know that everybody was a new student once. The teachers and other students at the Shala (school) are there to support you. Please ask us questions when appropriate (not during class).
- You are welcome to stay after class and talk to the teacher if you have questions or would like more information about the practice.
- Modify the yoga poses to suit your body. The teacher will help you adapt and modify the poses to fit what is happening with your body.
- Remember to breathe. Ashtanga is a breath-based practice. Don't worry about getting the yoga poses perfect. Your strength and flexibility will improve with your practice.
- There is NO competition in yoga, no judgement, nothing to prove, and no one to impress. The yoga practice is for you and the health of your body and spirit. At Pacific Ashtanga we are proud of you just for showing up. The rest just comes with time and practice.